Recipe: Zucchini & Parmesan Soup with Parmesan Crisps
The soup and parmesan crisps can both be made ahead if you like. Store the crisps in an airtight container and the soup in the fridge. If you want to turn this into a more substantial soup you can add shredded chicken or drained canned white beans or lentils.
- ¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1kg zucchini, chopped coarsely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup firmly packed basil leaves, chopped coarsely
- 3 cups (750ml) vegetable stock
- ¼ cup (60ml) pouring cream
- 2⁄3 cup (55g) grated parmesan
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup (80g) finely grated parmesan (see tips)
- 2 teaspoons wholemeal plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over low-medium heat. Cook zucchini and garlic, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until zucchini is browned and very soft.
- Meanwhile, to make parmesan crisps, preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line two oven trays with baking paper. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Place 12 level tablespoons of mixture onto trays, flatten mounds to 8cm across, leaving 5cm between rounds. Bake for 6 minutes or until starting to turn golden. Lift one round at a time using a palette knife or metal spatula; drape over a rolling pin to cool, if you want a curved shape.
- Add basil and stock to zucchini mixture in pan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 8 minutes. Remove from heat; stand for 5 minutes
- Blend or process three-quarters of the soup until smooth. Return soup to pan with cream and parmesan; stir over low heat until hot.
- Sprinkle the soup with parsley; season. Serve with parmesan crisps.
Source: Judes Food: A celebration of food & family. By Judy & Co-Founder of INTU WELLNESS Anna Heinrich